- Can I lock my meter box?
You can lock your meter box as long as the lock is an approved Western Power lock. An approved Western Power lock can be purchased from licensed locksmiths and security suppliers.
- Do I need a new meter to install solar and how do I arrange this?
To install a solar power system you’ll need to have a bi-directional energy meter that is capable of separately measuring and recording electricity flows in each direction - how much energy you consume from the grid vs. how much excess energy you export back to the grid (thanks to your solar system).Read more
- How do I get the temporary meter removed?
Call us on 13 13 53 to arrange removal. We'll arrange with Western Power to remove the meter for you. Please note, a temporary supply removal fee of $323.92 is charged by Synergy in order to recover costs charged by Western Power to visit a site and remove a temporary supply.
- How do I organise a meter for my building site?
Building a home is a fun yet exhaustive process. Whether you need to get a temporary or permanent supply to your site, this is a good place to start.Read more
- How do I read my electricity meter?
It all depends on what type of meter you have. Western Power, the network operator, owns and maintains the meter at your home and is responsible for reading or estimating your meter - unless you're a self reader.
For detailed information on ‘how to read your meter’, please visit Western Power's website.
- How long does it take to connect a meter to our building site?
It depends on how many steps below you need completed to connect your site:
- First, check for underground power installed on your block. Look for a shiny green dome or call Western Power on 13 10 87 to confirm or to install your dome.
- Apply for a new connection with us - we'll process your request within 3-5 days and issue you with a reference number.
- Pass on the reference number/s on to your builder or electrician.
- Your builder/ electrician will liaise with Western Power to get your meter installed and connected to the grid. Allow 5 working days in a metropolitan area, and up to 10 working days in rural areas.
- I am a SmartPower customer, will my arrangement be affected if I want to sign up to green energy too?
You can sign-up to any of Synergy’s green energy options, whether it is NaturalPower® or EasyGreen®. But it means that the green energy premium will be added to all of the applicable SmartPower variable rates.
- What if I do not have a time-of-use compatible meter?
Most recently built homes have a compatible meter that can be re-programmed to suit a time-of-use tariff. Otherwise, you need to have a new meter installed. There are two types of meters which you can choose from depending on the existing meter installed at your property or the appliances you use.
- Why has my bill been estimated?
There are a couple of reasons which may be behind your bill estimation:
- The Western Power meter reader was unable to access your meter when they arrived for the reading. This may be due to a locked gate, dog or other obstacles that prevented them from accessing your meter
- If you're a registered, self reader and were unable to provide these details in time for your billing cycle, then your bill will be estimated as well
How will I know if my bill has been estimated?
Grab a copy of your bill... look for the 'How much energy have you used?' chart half way down the bill.
If your bill has been estimated, then the 'This bill' horizontal bar will be shaded white instead.
If you'd like to query the estimation, please submit an enquiry or call us on 13 13 53.
Can’t find the answer above? Get in contact, we are happy to help
For residential enquiries call 13 13 53
One of our friendly, team members will be happy to help you:
- 7am - 7pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)
- We may need to ask you a couple of questions to confirm it's you - just have a copy of your bill handy.
All fields required unless indicated as optional.